Friday, September 9, 2011

Helmet Mods

I decided to modify the helmet to make it fit better. There was a knob at the top that fit into the back part of the helmet, but when i tried it on, it was too tight on the top of my head. After looking at reference for the real helmet, i noticed that the top has a notch cut out. I decided to give this a try.
I removed the notch and it fits much better now. I also sanded down the sides and top in the inside considerably. This gives it a little more flex. For VAC-PLATING, this is a no-no. I will be using the SPRAY-CHROME ( not the rattle can) method. But more on that later.
The above pic also shows that i removed the nuts inside the sides that connect the ear-knobs. I flattened this area and used the POST connectors mentioned earlier. This also allows more room, especially around the neck. ( red tape is temporarily holding them in place.) The top will connect like the original, with an "O" ring-post attached to the front half, and the ANTENNA holding it in place. Stay tuned.....;-)

Sunday, July 3, 2011

a few updates since last time

Well, haven't been updating in awhile.
Mostly because i was sanding parts. Talk about tedium and boring.
Anyway, I found these little things to be quite helpful. Found them at Lowe's in the hardware section. They are usually in the drawers where the screws and bolts and nuts are found.

I've used them for the inside of the knee area, and also for the pivot joints on the arms at the elbows. They work great.

Here i have drilled out a hole in the knee piston for the screw head, then applied an apoxy glue to hold it in place.